Reduce and care for scars
Scars occur after an open wound or after surgery. A scar is thin and fragile and therefore more likely to sustain damage from the outside.
That's why you need to care for and protect scars.
NOTE: In the first 2 years after your wound has closed, you can still change the shape and color of your scar. After this, your scar has 'matured' and you can use ointment or cream to improve suppleness and reduce itching.
Scar recovery tips:
- Keep the wound and scar clean (with water, not soap)
- Avoid the sun
- Make sure that the skin does not stretch too much
- Apply cream, ointment or silicone gel to relax the skin and against complaints
- For (large) scars under clothing: use a silicone bandage or plaster
The above tips help with a better and faster recovery of your scar. Keeping the wound clean prevents infections, avoiding the sun prevents further damage to your scar and not stretching the skin much ensures that your scar can recover calmly.
You often want to treat an abnormal scar with silicone. Ask your doctor for advice.
Scar cream and silicone treatment
Damaged skin (scar) loses too much moisture. This causes the body to continue to produce scar tissue. This can cause a different scar and scar symptoms such as itching, pain and tight skin.
A good moisture balance in the skin ensures that scar complaints decrease and the scar is visibly reduced and cosmetically improved. Use a good moisturizing cream, silicone gel or silicone bandage for this.
- ALHYDRAN is a well-known moisturizing scar cream. The cream is mainly used for burns ( also available with SPF ). The main ingredient of ALHYDRAN is freshly processed Aloe Vera which ensures good hydration.
- BAPSCARCARE silicone gel and dressing provide optimal treatment and protection of scars. By applying a protective layer of silicone, the skin relaxes and moisture loss is inhibited.
- Cinoscar is a medical silicone gel for the treatment and prevention of abnormal (hypertrophic or keloid) scars.
- DerMel honey ointment contains pure honey. The ointment helps repair damaged and irritated skin.
- WOUND is wound spray for superficial wounds. You can use this as the first protection and care.