Causes dry skin
More than half (!) of the Dutch regularly suffer from dry skin. The cause of dry skin is different for everyone.
Some people naturally have dry skin, while others are sensitive to cold or dry air. But your care routine or stress, for example, can also affect your skin.
- Have naturally dry skin
- Season/weather changes
- Take a long and hot shower
- Lots of soap use
Solutions dry skin
Your skin naturally has a layer of oil. This helps keep the skin healthy and strong and protects against bacteria. With dry skin, this layer of fat is less and you can therefore suffer from damaged skin or inflammation earlier.
When showering or bathing, you also wash off part of the layer of fat. The longer and hotter you shower and the more soap you use, the worse it is for your skin. Therefore:
- Do not shower/bath too often (1 to 3 times a week)
- Shower/bath not too hot and not long
- Use less or (occasionally) no soap
- Use a neutral soap (no perfume, no parabens, etc.)
- Apply a nourishing cream or ointment to moisturize your skin
A nourishing cream or ointment helps the skin to restore the moisture (and fat) balance. This is how you prevent dry skin. A nourishing cream or ointment is therefore always a good idea , also to hydrate your skin a bit after showering.